Spring Flowers and Bees

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Fruityful Colours of Summer

Mango Gelato

Summer surely brings a lot of joys, colours, and feelings like never before. This is my first summer ever in Toronto and I've never experienced summer in a four-season country before this. I am very grateful that my parents let me stay in Toronto for at least the first two months of spring-summer.

Everywhere I go I'll see fresh fruits and vegetables popping up at every corner. Fresh, farm-picked strawberries, rhubharb, asparagus, green peas... The colorful mangoes, Rainier cherries, tomatoes, peaches, nectarines, watermelon, the fruits-and-veggies list will go on forever. It feels so good to be surrounded by these fresh produce, especially when a lot of them are grown in Ontario land. This makes summer feels so wonderful.

Amidst this joy for the abundance of fruits, I want to take a while to participate in the one-time event hosted by the super-talented Sam of Sweet Pleasure. I hereby announce my participation in Ice Cream Blogging!

My entry is going to be a hand-churned Mango Gelato/Sorbet :)
It's a very simple recipe that only requires very little amount of sugar, compared to what was suggested by the recipe. I picked the red-and-green skinned mangoes as my main ingredient. I still don't know what the proper name for these mangoes are. Remember that as soon as you got home after buying these mangoes, do not put them in the fridge unless it's already ripened. I carelessly put mine in the fridge before they were fuly ripened that I had to wait another few days before I can start making this particular gelato.

Actually, I am not sure whether to address this freshening icy treat as gelato or sorbet. Since this does not contain any milk or cream; rather only pure mango, water, and sugar; perhaps addressing it a sorbet would be better.

This recipe is particularly simple and require little preparation. Since I don't have an ice cream machine, I had to occasionaly churn the sorbet once in a while until it reaches the consistency that I liked. And the result is the beautiful sorbet presented above.

Mango Sorbet

2 ripe large mangoes
1/4 cup + 1 T granulated sugar
1/4 cup water or orange juice

Direction:
01. Combine everything in a blender, then liquify everything until smooth, around 5-10 minutes.
02. Pour the liquid mango into a freeze-proof plastic container or an ice cream machine. If you're using an ice cream machine, follow the manufacturer's instruction. However, if you don't have one, please follow the remaining instruction.
03. Place the container, covered with a lid or a plastic wrap, in the freezer. After an hour, remove the container from the freezer, give an energetic whisk with a hand whisk or electric mixer and return to the freezer. Whish again after another couple of hours. When it's nearly firm, give one last whisk. Freeze again until firm. Then, you're goo to go!

I hope you can give this a try! It's just like eating whole mangoes, only more refreshing :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mango sorbet... sounds refreshing! I'm waiting for my ice cream machine to arrive... *sigh*

Very pretty with the flower touch. I think it's best described as sorbet like you said since it doesn't have any cream on it and the texture looks more like a sorbet. Anyway, sorbet or ice cream, mango sounds too delicious that it would be great whichever way you do it! Thanks for the recipe!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Deetsa said...

oh god... that sounds so good. I love summer. It brings so many lovely fruits. Just back up a truck of fruit and pour it in my mouth, I say!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Your mango sorbet looks wonderful! I'm glad that you decided to particpate even without an ice cream maker. Bravo to you! Cooking and baking is really about being creative, taking chances and sometimes doing it from scratch. Thanks again for participating!

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Ceendy!

I just love mango sorbet ... you did a lovely job.

And you're right it does make one think of all of summer's beautiful colours!

11:53 AM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hey Mae
Thank you! I'm trying my best to decorate my foods, but still not as professional looking as yours :P

Hey Nerissa
My first summer abroad ever! Just lovin' it!!

Hey Sam
Glad to be a part of your events [again]
I should participate more often, huh?

Hey Ivonne
Summer is just too beautiful to put on words, you've got to see and feel it yourself!
This mango sorbet would definitely taste better with an ice cream machine!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ceendy, your plating and food decorations are always so pretty. Says so much about you.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this sounds really good....my mama picked up some mango's at the market today! i can't wait till we have dessert tonight!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home