Spring Flowers and Bees

Friday, May 19, 2006

A Thank-You Post

Lovely greens

First of all, I'd like to congratulate Mae for moving to this very sophisticated-looking and more personalized food blog. It's so lovely and you should check it out!

Next, what would be more fitting than to mention her again [sorry Mae!]? I'd like to thank her for sharing her Grilled Rib Eye Steak recipe, which is still located at the old site. It is actually very easy to prepare and appear to be foolproof to an unexperienced meat cook like me :)
Since I couldn't find rib eye steak in the grocery store, I used the T-bone steak instead. At first, I had no idea which beef I should use in place of rib eye. However, this T-bone steak was the most expensive per gram, so I landed my choice on it. I don't eat beef that often anyway. So, a special treat once in a while is alright :) Right?

T-bone Steak with Pureed Potatoes

In addition to the spices that Mae used, I added crushed fennel seeds and some sliced mushrooms. I marinated the beef for a night before pan-frying it.
True, I don't have a barbecue set, but that won't stop me from grilling beef. I pan-fried them in a large saucepan until they're browned on both sides. But still juicy on the inside :)

As a side, I of course opt for mashed potatoes as suggested by Mae. However, I had a craving for Popeye's smooth mashed potatoes. It's actually not mashed, rather it's pureed. So, having owned a blender, I pureed my potatoes in it.

Pureed Potatoes

First, peel the potatoes (around 2-3 of them), cut into quarters, then boil for almost an hour.
Put the boiled potatoes into the blender.
Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of butter and 1/4 cup of milk in the microwave.
Puree the potatoes with the butter and milk mixture to make them smooth.
Season with salt and pepper.
There you have it!

This was such a gourmet meal! Thank you Mae!

I still have more people to thank to :)

Next, thank you for Jasmine at Cardamom Addict for the offer on the cats advice. I really truly appreciate it. I am a first time cargiver for kittens. So, I really don't know what I'm doing. And thank you for the prompt reply of your e-mail. Don't worry, I still have more questions to ask, just too busy right now.

My CBBP Package

And finally, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart to Rob and Rachel from Hungry in Hogtown. Thank you for the CBBP package you both have thoughtfully and carefully arranged for me! I could really feel the chocolate and spices theme, especially after I tried on a sip of the Mayan hot chocolate. The mustard was also wonderful, I often pass by Kozliks at St. Lawrence Market but too hesitant to give them a try.
I really like the chocolate covered hazelnuts and have finished half of them already [oops, only 5 pieces left now]! Last but not least, thanks for sharing the recipe and providing me with the ingredients! My deepest gratitude to both of you.

Before I forgot, I'd like to thank my professor whom I'm volunteering with. Although this is weird and he could not possibly be reading this. But, still, thank you for letting me not come to work this week! The beginning of summer school was just overwhelming!

In spite of my busy-ness with the adorable yet frustrating kittens and summer school, I feel a bit relieved now that I can thank many people who made my day and even my week. Thank you for everything!

PS: as always, thanks to people around me :) My family and Mr. W :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ceendy,

What a great post! So thoughtful of you to thank everyone!

And it looks like you got a tremendous package for CBBP #1. I hope you'll participate in CBBP #2!

Have a great long weekend!

8:37 PM  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

yeah! mae's a great cook.....and an artist too. Look at the way she presents the food and the picture....superb aint they ?

1:17 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hi Cindy,

A lovely post and package for a lovely person. Have a good long weekend!

8:49 AM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Ivonne,
Thanking people has been a great remedy to me :) Hope you're enjoying your long weekend!

Foodcrazee,
Good that you think the same way about Mae. I still need to learn a lot from her, and maybe from you (?) :p

Sam,
Thanks again for initiating CBBP. I'll try to do better next time! Have a great long weekend too!!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ceendy,

*blushing* Well, what can i say? But thank you too!!! You are such a kind hearted and thoughtful person. You have made my day! All those nice things you've said about me is so sweet and very kind of you to mention.

Looks to me, that you've done a great job with the T-bone steak and adding fennel seeds and marinating the meat?, well, you've created a very tasty sounding dish [all on your own, girl! So who's creative now? lol]. I love marinating meat too especially pork. You eat pork, right? lol.

Foodcrazee, i didn't expect so much compliments in one day! Thank you.

Guys, this has been so overwhelming for me to come here and see all this. You are trully great.

4:02 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Mae,
You've earned all the compliments! =)
In other words, you deserve it! I need to learn a lot more from you ;)
And yes, I do eat pork! LoL :p

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ceendy, thanks for the thanks. It was a lot of fun putting the package together, so we're glad you're enjoying it.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the Mayan hot chocolate. We both think it's special.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home